The Center for Performing Arts Medicine at Houston Methodist is responding to the unique challenges of COVID-19 by deploying the arts in creative ways to support our staff, patients, and the community at large. In addition to patient support, we have identified the unique needs of healthcare workers at this time- both those that are ‘front line’ and those with supporting roles. The list of CPAM Applications Supporting Healthcare Employees and Patients below are examples of art activities CPAM is deploying to relieve stress and anxiety, offer hope and rejuvenation to support healthcare outcomes for employees, patients, and the Hospital community. Many of these activities will also prove supportive and effective for the community at large. Please feel free to share.
CPAM Applications Supporting Healthcare Employees and Patients:
Participatory Employee Arts Enrichment Digital Programs: Opportunities for staff to engage with the arts in a participatory, reflective fashion with the option to share completed arts experiences with fellow employees.
- Photography Safari: A guided photography experience to reflect and capture your surroundings
- 10 Day Photography Challenge: Scheduled photography prompts for all to think creatively about their unique viewpoint
- Employee Virtual Choir: Houston Methodist choir performing "Count on Me"
- Creative Writing Prompt 1: Guided creative writing prompt reflecting on our changing experiences
- Creative Writing Prompt 2: Guided creative writing prompt based on an Emily Dickinson poem
- Creative Writing Prompt 3: Guided creative writing prompt based on sharing memories
- Employee Photography Reflections Gallery: Online gallery of employee photography in response to photography prompts
- Out and About Photography Challenge: Activity to take a walk and photograph an object in a new environment using the elements of composition accompanied by a video guide by CPAM Photography Instructor, Mark Chen.
- Creativity Unleashed: An online gallery of employee creative expressions made during this time
- Finding ICARE: A photography challenge to find the letters ICARE in their world
Passive Virtual Arts Interventions Supporting Employee Wellbeing: Programs that allow employees to reflect through the arts without requiring active creation.
- Music Therapy Curated Playlists: Playlists focusing on goals like promoting relaxation, inspiring hope, and increasing productivity
- Guided Meditations with Music: Led by Board Certified Music Therapists
- Music and Visual Art for Relaxation: Visual art videos set to music by CPAM pianists intended to relax viewers and incorporate employee artwork
- The Ermelinda Jazz Trio (featuring Spanish and English songs)
- A classical guitar recital by Jay Kacherski
- CPAM pianist musical performance paired with employee photographs NEW Second video of employee photographs
- A live painting video set to music transporting those watching to a peaceful outdoor natural environment where the artist, Karissa Laffey, from Artist Boat in Galveston, TX. NEW! Salt marsh live painting video added!
- Art League Houston guides patients and employees in meditative mark making with this activity sheet.
- Art League Houston provides a fun look at how food can be art and inspire creativity with this activity sheet and video.
- Art League Houston Instructor, Moe Penders guides a radial strength mediation activity in this video and activity sheet.
- Heart Treasure Map - A drawing activity to list a persons treasures in their life
- Rise Up and Reflect Zine - A booklet making activity responding to inspiring music
- Origami Heart and Hope Activity - An origami and drawing activity with lyric replacement
- Self Compassion - An origami and coloring activity with lyric replacement
- Hearts for Healthcare Workers - A drawing activity to show support for healthcare workers
- Healing Art Guided Imagery - Personal responses to imagery from Healing Arts Exhibition
- Helping Hands - Drawing activity in response to inspiring music
- Saying Thank You - Thank you card activity with lyric replacement
- Half and Half - Expressive drawing in response to imagery from Healing Arts Exhibition
- Coloring sheets - Coloring art from the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Origami Envelope Letter - An origami, letter writing, and drawing activity
- Drawing Your World - Drawing guide on how to draw any object you see
- Mandala Meditative Drawing - How to draw a mandala
- Unity Acrostic Activity - Words to describe what unity means
- Family Crest and Anthem - Drawing activity for families with lyric replacement family anthem
- Mask Design - Design your own mask using a vistaprint.com template
- Healing Arts Coloring Book - Coloring pages featuring photographs from employee artists
- Thank You Acrostic Activity - Expressing thanks with an acrostic activity for Veteran's Day
- Positive Affirmations - Writing musical positive affirmations
- The Art of Food - Drawing activity with guided video by Art League Houston
- Coloring Cards and Well Wishes - Four different cards for patients Gingerbread, Snowflake, Nutcracker, and Holly
- Holiday themed activities: Snowflake drawing, Ornament reflection activity, Crossword, and White Christmas Lyric replacement activty
- Celebrate a Fresh Start: Guided listening and response with firework drawing
Employee Onsite and Printable Art Activities: For our front line and support employees on campus, we have created a variety of music therapy inspired interventions offered in break rooms and at information and front desks throughout the hospital.CPAM Wellness Brochure